Towbar for electric vehicle
A towing bar could really make your summer, helping you dispose of garden waste, transport your boat or go with a caravan. But there is some uncertainty as to which electric cars can be equipped with towing bars. Therefore, we have compiled current cars that can pull your trailer or caravan and listed their towable mass.
Unfortunately, not all EVs are prepared for towing. The reasons for this are a few factors that complicate things. The first one is obvious, with trailers negatively impacting the range of the electric car. But it is also because of things like the EVs regenerative braking systems, which could cause imbalance when towing a trailer. Also, electric cars often weigh more than petrol cars and having additional weight could damage key parts of your EV.
Luckily, there are some options in the market, and we have compiled a list of electric cars which offer towing capabilities and stated their towable mass.
Top list – the EVs with the most towable mass
- Tesla Model X – towable mass 2250 kg
- Audi e-tron – towable mass 1 800 kg
- Mercedes EQC – towable mass 1 800 kg
- Hyundai Ioniq 5 – towable mass 1 600 kg
- Kia EV6 – towable mass 1 600 kg
- Tesla Model Y – towable mass 1 600 kg
- Polestar 2 – towable mass 1 500 kg
- Volvo XC40 – towable mass 1 500 kg
- Volkswagen ID.4 – towable mass 1 000 kg
- Skoda Enyaq – towable mass 1 000 kg (1 400 kg på fyrhjulsdriven version)
- Tesla Model 3 – towable mass 1 000 kg
- Mercedes EQA – towable mass 750 kg (1 800 kg på fyrhjulsdriven version)
- Jaguar I-Pace – towable mass 750 kg
There are also electric cars like Volkswagen ID.3 where a towing bar can be mounted, but only used for things like transporting a bike, with a towable mass of 55 kg.
Five recommendations for connecting a caravan this summer:
- Do your research on the EVs towable mass and the weight of your caravan
- Never tow something heavier than your car
- Keep an eye on the new shorter reach
- Keep track of how your EVs braking system reacts to the caravan
- Have a plan for how to reach the charger at public charging stations
To quietly go down the road in an EV with a caravan opens opportunities. That is why we hope the electric car manufacturers will create even more opportunities to connect a trailer or caravan in the time to come.
Have a safe and nice summer on the road!